Hair Fall (Alopecia)
- Do you have a frizzy hair?
- Is your hair dry and brittle?
- Are you suffering from dandruff?
- Your hair is more prone to breakage?
MAY BE YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM ALOPECIA…
What is Hair fall (Alopecia)?
Hair fall or Alopecia is a medical term for hair loss or baldness from some or all areas of body, mainly scalp. Human hair composed of fibrous keratin protein, which makes hair both strong and flexible.It starts with one or more small, round, smooth bald patches on the scalp and can progress to total scalp hair loss or complete body hair loss. In general 50-100 hairs at random are shed every day. An average increases of more than 100 hairs per day constituents a state of hair loss or alopecia. Male has greater tendency than female. It may be due to the presence of high amount of testosterone inmale.
Types of Hair Fall
- Alopecia Areata: A common autoimmune disease with one or more small, round, non-scarring smooth patches results in loss of hair on the scalp and elsewhere.
- Ophiasis Alopecia Areata:This shows a band like hair loss. It occurs mostly in the temporal or the occipital regions of the scalp, and therefore it is more difficult to treat, as most medicines have a delayed action on these areas.
- Scarring Alopecia: Any inflammatory process (burns, bacterial infections, ringworm, injury) sufficient to cause permanent loss of follicles, affected area known as scarring alopecia.
- Tricotilomania:This type of hair loss is known as compulsive pulling or repetitive self-pulling by a patient himself/herself.
- Androgenic alopecia (baldness): Most common cause andknown as genetic baldness.
- Alopecia Universalis: Loss of hair from entire body including eyebrows and eyelashes
- Alopecia Totalis: Loss of hair from entire Scalp.
- Traction Alopecia:Hair style that tie hairs so tight can causes much traction at the root of hairs.
- Chemotherapy-induced alopecia:Due to the side effects of cancer patients but it affects normal cells and hair follicles too.
- Diffuse Alopecia:Excessive Loss of hair all over the scalp without creating a patch.
- Beauty treatments:Chemicals can trigger hair loss for some individuals like hair colours, dye, straightening, softening, rebounding, perming etc.
- Telogen effluvium (TE):Dietary deficiencies, Crash dieting High grade fever, Anaemia, Blood loss, Hormonal imbalance and pregnancy cause hair loss.
Causes of Hair Fall
Hair styling products, Polluted environment, Nutritional deficiencies, Emotional strains, stress and Hormonal imbalance, Dandruff, Trichotillomania, Traumas, Child birth, Use of fertility stimulating drugs, Fungal infections, Hypothyroidism.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hair Fall
Hair fall is termed as Khalitya in Ayurveda. Hair loss is an effect of excessive “Pitta Dosha” in the body. The level of Pitta Dosha escalates due to hot climate, excessive intake of spicy, salty, tea, coffee, alcohol, meats and chain smoking, leading to hair thinning and breakage. Ayurvedic treatment for hair fall aims to maintain the level of Pitta Dosha in the body with a combination of personalized diet, herbs, oil massage, yoga and meditation. Some of the common herbal plants used in herbal shampoos and hair oil are:
- Guavaincrease hair density in chemotherapy induced hair loss
- Indian jujube (Ber) increase length, thickness of hair and hair follicles
- Walnut oilbeneficial in hair loss also nourishes and promotes hair growth
- Horsetailpromotes hair growth and improve quality and condition of hair Leavesof Kurunthotti(Sidacordifolia) shows antidandruff activity
- Onion beneficial in patchy baldness maintain and increase hair growth
- Leaves of Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) shows antimicrobial agent
- Leaves of Neelamari(Indigoferatinctoria) is used in hair colouring and hair growth promoter
- Leaves of Henna (Lawsoniainermis) used as hair colouring and hair growth promoter
- Powder of Shikakai(Acacia concinna)&Fruits of (Soap nut)Sapindusindica are used as a detergent in shampoo
- Root of Vetiver(Vetiveriazizanioides) is used as a Coolant and anti-bacterial agent
- Leaves of Hibiscus(Rosa-sinencis) is used as a Conditioning agent
- Fruit of Amla(Emblicaofficinalis)Strengthen hair, antidandruff agent,hair growth promoter
- Seeds of Linseed(Linumusitatissimum) work as a Sequestering agent
- Fruit of Lemon (Citrus lemon) works as a Antidandruff, natural cleanser, pH modifier
- Powder of Guar gum (Cyamopsistetragonolobus)is used as hair thickening agent
Besides, these therapies Champi, an Ayurveda head massage for proper nourishment and increasing blood circulation in head scalp shall be applied to avoid hair fall. Some of them are:
- Coconut oil: Massaging scalp with coconut oil will not only stimulate hair growth by unclogging pores but also prevent hair fall by providing strength to the hair strands.
- Bhringraj oil:This valuable herb treats damaged, brittle hair by boosting blood circulation to the hair follicles, providing strength to hair strands
- Rosemary Essential oil: This salubrious herb is known for its hair and beauty benefits. Besides improving hair growth, itreduces hair loss and premature greying.